Previously available only in Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba, the government-approved blended learning Standard First Aid and CPR course is now available on the market for first aid and CPR/AED training in Ontario. Blended learning is a comprehensive training method that combines online multimedia instruction with instructor-led and hands-on in-class training. It covers the recognition and treatment of cardiovascular emergencies including heart attack and stroke, which are the second and third leading causes of death in Canada. Other first aid skills covered in the course include but are not limited to:
- Shock, unconsciousness and fainting
- Choking and breathing emergencies
- Burns and scalds
- And environmental emergencies
About blended learning
The successful completion of the blended learning Standard First Aid course is a three-step process.
1. You need to complete the online theory
Through computer based training structured in a self-paced modular format, the blended learning Standard First Aid course allows students to access audio and text instruction as well as instructional videos and quizzes. A passing mark of 80% is the requirement to proceed to each successive module.
Advantages of the computer-based training are as follows:
- You work at your own pace and schedule
- The courses are interactive and customizable
- You have unlimited course access for two years
- And you can start your course immediately
2. Attend in-class training
Following the completion of the computer-based theory, students are required to attend the in-class portion of the course. This is delivered by an instructor and the focus is on the practical application of the course content.
Advantages of the in-class training are as follows:
- The classes are held at convenient locations and times
- You get to participate in hands-on training
- You learn from experienced instructors
- Training time is half the time the traditional course format would take
3. Write the exam
Upon the successful completion of the in-class training, student write the government approved Standard First Aid test.
Blended learning therefore offers the following advantages:
- It combines online multimedia instruction with hands-on training
- It provides full (3-year) certification
- 24/7 access to online theory from any computer or smart phone with internet access
- The course accommodates individual learning styles
- Immediate access to training and certification
With over 2 decades of experience training people on how to respond to and prepare for emergencies, Heart to Heart First Aid/CPR Services Inc. offers courses with classes across all key areas of training for anyone who wants to learn first aid. Our aim is to teach you new skills and keep you knowledgeable, confident and ready to provide relief in emergencies. We deliver the training you seek, when, where and how you need it including blended learning.