SUPERVISOR – ONLINE
Building upon their existing Instructional skills, Teaching Experience Supervisor candidates will develop the skills required to support Red Cross First Aid Instructor/Youth Leader candidates completing their Teaching Experience across all disciplines.
What is a Teaching Experience Supervisor?
- A TES is an experienced, certified instructor who wishes to support instructor candidates (or Youth Leaders) during their training.
- A TES does not teach the instructor candidates; rather, they will assist the instructor trainer and help enhance the overall training experience by providing structured feedback to the candidate as she/he works through the teaching experience.
What will a Teaching Experience Supervisor do?
TESs will support and guide instructor candidates through their teaching experience and will evaluate them using new competency-based criteria and feedback guidelines. TES responsibilities include:
- Monitoring the instructors as they go through their teaching experience and provide helpful, personal assistance.
- Helping to create real classroom environments for instructor candidates so they’ll be prepared with both theory and practical skills when they are certified.
- Providing a supportive environment to help ensure instructor candidates confidently meet a consistent and high Red Cross teaching standard.
- Contributing to the socialization of newly certified instructors and help them feel part of the instructor network.
- Encouraging reflection, allowing candidates to develop their Instructor identity.
Who can apply to become a Teaching Experience Supervisor?
- Anyone 18 years and older and holds a current First Aid Instructor (FAI)-level certification.
- Anyone interested in enhancing the training experience for new FAIs so they, and the participants, get the maximum benefit from their courses.
What is the role of the IDC in the Teaching Experience Supervisor training process?
- Interested applicants will contact the Instructor Development Centre (IDC) to register for the TES course, inquire about cost and schedules, and ask questions about the process.
What course components are included in a Teaching Experience Supervisor course?
- The online component covers the process of how a candidate’s Teaching Experience will run, including what is expected of the TES and how to support a candidate. This should take candidates approximately 4 hours. Once the online component is completed you will get your certificate.
- Full course details and component breakdowns can be found in the First Aid & CPR National Program Standards.