Carbon monoxide poisoning can quickly become fatal, and as soon as it is detected it should be handled by trained medical personnel. Even if the person seems to be unaffected, they should be checked for a low level of oxygen in their tissues or in their blood.
Carbon monoxide poisoning often occurs during the winter when it is extremely cold outside, as people are sealing up their homes for air drafts and may be using unsafe supplemental heating sources to keep warm. Carbon monoxide poisoning can also occur due to fumes leaking from a faulty heater or boiler.
Carbon monoxide can’t be detected easily, as it does not have a smell or a taste. This is why it’s so important to have a carbon monoxide alarm installed in different areas throughout the home. Gas appliances should also be regularly serviced to make sure that they are running properly.
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Symptoms
If a person has had a low-level exposure to common monoxide for a prolonged time period, they may experience the following symptoms:
More severe symptoms may include:
- Difficult, rapid breathing
- Blue/grey skin appearance
- Low response level, unresponsiveness
If you suspect that someone has been affected by carbon monoxide, call 911 immediately. Remove the person from the suspected area and bring them into fresh air. Remain with the individual and encourage them to breathe normally while reassuring them that help is on the way. Keep an eye on their condition and be prepared to administer appropriate first-aid or CPR as required.
Learn more about carbon monoxide poisoning and other situations that require first-aid techniques by visiting our website at heart2heartcpr.com, or contact us today to learn more about courses running in your local area.